What Am I Reading This Week?

July 11 – July 16, 2022

 

#Mermaid Marathon – June 27 through July 10 – I finished most of the books on my TBR for this Marathon – definitely all the audiobooks. I am still reading the physical books: Son of the Deep by K. B. Hoyle and Ireland’s Pirate Queen by Anne Chambers. My favorite book of the Marathon was Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt – everyone should read that one! This two-week marathon was hosted by @The BrightSideGirl on Instagram and YouTube. Her reading marathons are always fun. The next one is the #Not-so-Scary-athon September 26th – October 9th.

 

Finished: (audiobook)

When A Scot Ties the Knot by Tessa Dare – This one was so entertaining. Here’s the setup: a painfully shy 16-year old English girl invents a lover in the form of Scottish Highlander Captain Logan Mackenzie to get out of attending any balls involved in her coming-out to English society. She actually posts the letters and keeps up the ruse for several years, then claims he died in battle. She even inherits a castle in the Highlands to ease her mourning. Lo and behold, one day this fictional Scottish Highlander appears and claims to have received all her letters and wants to marry her!

 

There are lots of sexy times, but if you are not averse to that what follows is hilarious. My favorite part is when Logan is stretched out on her bed waiting for her to come around her screen and she sees this: “those spectacles were perched on the strong bridge of his nose, one muscled arm was flexed and propped behind his head and in the other hand he held, devil take him, heaven help her, a BOOK! Not just any book, but a thick one bound in dark green leather, and he was READING THE THING!” She says, “Logan, this is bad. Here I am, struggling to banish any foolish imagined affections for you so that we can consummate this marriage of convenience in a proper business-like fashion as we agreed, and then you go and read a book! While he was at it, why didn’t he just bring her a basket of kittens?”

 

On the cover, Julia Quinn writes: “Prepare to fall in love.” She was right. It was a nice break for me from other things I have been reading. Sometimes you just need that cleanser book – although this was anything but clean romance. Anyway, I liked it.

 

Continuing: (all physical books!)

Son of the Deep by K. B. Hoyle

Ireland’s Pirate Queen by Anne Chambers

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

 

Just starting: (audiobook)

Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle – a 6 hour audiobook classic I have been meaning to read for the past year.

 

Happy Reading! Alleluialu

Comments

  1. Nice looking assortment of books. I like Sherlock Holmes and all the authors who have reimagined him. I have trouble listening to sexy audiobooks. I can read them but not hear them for some reason. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I normally don't listen to sexy-times in audiobooks, but I didn't expect there to be so much in this one - silly me. I have been reading through the Sherlock Holmes books little by little, so I'm anxious to start this one. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVED Lessons in Chemistry! I hoe it works for you! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog